Monday, December 9, 2013

Solstice SCM Meet

I swam my first masters meet since last May over the weekend. The Solstice Short Course meters meet was held in Gaithersburg. Nice pool and a good turnout. I swam the 100, 200 and 400 free. having not trained for speed lately i did not know what to expect. The 200 free was the first event. I paced the first 100 and managed to increase my effort for the second 100. Man, I really felt spent though. It is amazing how a short burst of intensity can waste you as much as a long swim. In the 100 I felt as if I was spinning my wheels. Sprinting is truly not in the cards right now. In the 400 I again held a steady pace for the first half and tried to pick it up for the second 200. I felt pretty good and managed a respectable finish. Even though my times were not great I believe speed training and doing meets will help my conditioning for the open water season. I am not one to do 10,000 plus yards a day. My schedule and shoulders will not allow it. Training for meets will heilp me build my base. That's my theory at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment