Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The purpose of this Blog is to provide a chronological record of my training and other events leading up to my attempt to cross the English Channel on September 19th/20th, 2014. I recently paid my deposit to lock my slot in for next September and now am getting orgainized. My boat pilot is Fred Mardle with the Channel Swimming Association. I have begun to assemble my crew. My longtime friend and support crew, Alison Meehan, has agreed to crew for me. As an experienced open water swimmer herself she understands what swimmers go through in marathon swims. She crewed for me on my 25 mile Search for Memphre in 2012 and I am very grateful for her willingness to pitch in for the EC swim. I am also fortunate to have a circle of marathon open water swimmers and Channel vets I can lean on for advice and support including Liz Fry, Elaine Howley, Lelane Rossouw-Bancroft, Alison Meehan, Maureen Rohrs, Charlotte Brynn, David Barra, Sarah Thomas, Gordon Gridley and Annette Holmgren. Additionally, I am always thankful for the support of my home base open water swimming group, the Arundel Breakfast Club. I plan on leaning on folks for support and advice relentlessly in the coming year. I hope they don't all disown me.
So is the making of my adventure...let the work begin!

1 comment:

  1. Recent workouts:
    September 21 - Open Water 2.5 miles in the Magothy from Laura's dock. Jelly free until the last half mile then 2 stings. Alison got none. Water temp was 69 degrees. No wind, flat water. Good swim. Side and should er fine.
    September 23 - 4,000 scy in the pool. Felt pretty good. Not too speedy but side and shoulder still ok. Hypoxic work at end was killer.
    September 24 - 5,000 scy in the pool. First 4,000 was sets of 1000 broken as 600 w/u and 16 x 25; 2x300 and 8x50; 3x200 and 4x100; 4x150 and 2x200. Followed by 1000 straight. Felt steady. Encouraged with shoulder. Side seems healed.

    ReplyDelete