Tuesday, October 15, 2013

October 12 -13 Deep Creek Search for Colder Water

This past weekend I ventured to Deep Creek Maryland to try to find colder water for some training swims. Alison Meehan, Janet Manning, Darren Miller, and his friend Max all met up at Jim Clifford's house. Jim was very gracious to offer his lake house as a home base for our swims.

Saturday Afternoon - Water Temperature 63.5. Air tem mid- 60s.Swim length: 90 mins.
Janet, Alison and I all swam. Darren and Max paddled and Darren joined us swimming at the end.  I was a little apprehensive because I had in my mind that I had no issue at all down to 65 degrees but that the work was going to begin below that. It was an arbitrary number but it stuck in my head. So when the thermometer read 63.5 I was a little worrisome. However, I know I need to get comfortable down below 60 so I was ready to begin. To my surprise, I entered the water with no problem and began swimming without issue. I felt a little cold at first but nothing dramatic. Of course, the more I swam the warmer I got and I soon was totally comfortable. At no point did I feel cold challenged. After I finished I got out on the dock and stood without drying off in my speedo. I wanted to see how my body did with recovery and didn't want to immedately wrap myself up. At no point did I get violent shivers or feel extreme cold. Eventually I dressed and warmed up steadily. When we returned to the house I did succumb to peer pressure and get into the hot tub and have a beer.

Sunday morning - We ventured out about 10 am. When we got to the dock the temperature read 62.5. Air temp low 60's. Swim Length again 90 mins. Janet and I swam first with Darren and Alison paddling. Alison got in at halfway point and swam 2 miles with us. I could feelt he water was colder. Janet said she felt warm but I definitely could feel a brief cold headache when I first got in. But again once I got going I felt fine. There was a little wind so the water was a tiny bit choppy. That made the swim more interesting. When we finished our first loop, Darren got in and we all waded around a little. He suggested I just float and get used to the cold without moving. So I floated and could definitely feel my body getting cold but it was still manageable. After 10 minutes or so of floating I swam a few more laps close to the dock and got out. Again I did not rush to bundle up. I felt a little shivery but did not have any trouble warming up once I got dressed.

All in all, it was a successful and reassuring swim. I know I have a lot of work to do with much colder temperatures but it was good to know I was able to push the bar a little farther down without much trouble. Of course 90 minutes is not enough time to gauge by either but it is a start. I plan on swimming in colder water as long as I can this fall. Thanks to Janet for putting this trip together and to Alison for supporting me by paddling yet again. Glad she got some swimming in too. It was great to meet Darren and his advice was really appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment